Monday, May 7, 2007

No Place to Live

May 7, 1823
This afternoon the old king (Path killer) came to make us another visit. He soon enquired for John Arch to interpret – He was out on business but came in at evening – After supper the king related with apparent reserve, some of the decisions of the late council against disposing of their land – but in a little time he became quite open, and told us plainly that he was afraid of the white people; and distressed for his children (meaning the people of his nation) He desired to live here while he lived, but as he had but little time to stay, it was not much matter on his own account, but he was night and day grieved for his children that he should leave behind, lest the white people would give them no place to live, and they would be driven from the earth.
- Brainerd Journal
The interdenominational Brainerd mission was located in the heart of Cherokee country near present-day Chattanooga.

May 7, 1864-Emory, Va
This is my 27th birthday I came here at 3 this morning. Sister & mother all well & made me welcome by a good turkey dinner, many good wishes. Mrs. Buchannan & Miss Mag Wiley spent the day Sister Mary & I took tea at Dr. Wiley’s. Pleasant family I should be very thankful for being thus allowed to spend another birthday at home—or with my home folks & friends, how much has transpired since my last birthday, much has this 12 mos. changed the aspect of affairs. East tenn invaded—run over, occupied, laid waste & deserted by both armies. My once happy & comfortable home is totally ruined, but I cheerfully loose all for my country. I am not yet ready to cry "hold enough" I say never submit. I am willing & determined to fight on as long as we have an organized army & then bushwhack if necessary.
-William W. Stringfield journal

William W. Stringfield (May 7, 1837--March 6, 1923) initially served as a private in the 1st (Carter's) Tennessee Cavalry Regiment in 1861; then as a captain in Co. E, 39th (Bradford's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment in 1862, elected Major of Infantry Regiment, Thomas' Legion on September 27, 1862; promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, Walker's Battalion in January 1865. After the war Lt. Colonel Stringfield was elected as a member of the North Carolina Legislature in 1882-1883 and North Carolina State Senate in 1901 and 1905. He married Will Thomas's sister-in-law, Maria Love. He is buried in Green Hill Cemetery, Waynesville, North Carolina.

No comments: