Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Panther "Sighted" Near Cullowhee? (Naaah...)



This story could be huge...or not.

I'll go ahead and pass this along, with a little less information than has been provided to me. A panther has reportedly been sighted south of Cullowhee this week. And there is photographic evidence to back it up. The cougar is either extremely docile...or extremely dead.

I'm looking forward to comments on this.



UPDATE (6/11/08) - This one is easy to explain. Turns out it's a hoax. See http://hstallard.blogspot.com/2008/03/mountain-lion-hoax-in-virginia.html
The bad thing about these hoaxes is that people won't believe it when you actually come through with the goods. For instance, I snapped this picture when I stepped out my back door this morning...

...but he got away before I could blast him with my deer rifle. He's out there. Somewhere. So, keep looking...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sad photo, there appears to be blood near the hind quarter of the animal.
I sure hope no one shot it "on purpose"
There is a large Black Bear roaming in tuckasegee. (first put visiting; yet the Bears were there first so it is roaming) I sure hope the residents will stay inside and leave the bear alone, even if it does like your bird feeder. So very near BEAR LAKE PRESERVE. SURE HOPE IT IS PRESERVED........

GULAHIYI said...

Sad is an understatement. I almost feel I should apologize for posting it, but this is big. I wonder how the experts will explain this one away.

Anonymous said...

Mark Cantrell with the US Fish & Wildlife Service has confirmed this is fake and it is commonly circulated around the Internet and just the names and places are changed depending on where its sent to. That'd be a huge cat otherwise!

GULAHIYI said...

It'll be interesting to see how this story plays out. Oh well, if it is a hoax, then I can get back to searching for Bigfoot over near Soco again.

Anonymous said...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/mountainlion2007.asp

Thunder Pig said...

We must be on the same mailing lists.

This particular chain e-mail has traveled well, because I have had nearly 500 hits from google from all over the nation with people searching various terms in the email.