Thursday, June 11, 2009

BING!

Whenever I go online these days, it’s BING, BING, BING. Well, I haven’t checked out the new techie Bing thing yet. Maybe it really is the greatest deal since sliced bread.

But when I see BING on the screen, I don’t think of search engines and such.

I get hungry for an especially tasty variety of sweet cherry.



Or I recall the opera impresario Sir Rudolf Bing.



But mostly, I flash back on another Bing…

Der Bingle…

BUH-BUH-BUUUHHH…



Bing Crosby makes me laugh. He wears that fedora and clenches that pipe like he’s the coolest dude on the planet.

What a hoot!

Bing Crosby made a movie in 1956 that I really enjoy – High Society. How could you go wrong with a cast that includes Frank Sinatra, Grace Kelly and Louis Armstrong?

He got down with Satch on what might be my all-time favorite movie musical moment, Now You Has Jazz.





Maybe Bing WAS the coolest dude on the planet. Who else could say that he sang with Louis Armstrong AND Ziggy Stardust? I can’t watch this next clip without wondering what corner of the universe David Bowie flew in from. He has a delightfully unearthly look without even trying. And there's something so bizarre about Crosby and Bowie crooning together.

BA-RUMP-PA-BUM-BUM…



Who knows? The new Bing might turn out to be the next Google. But for me, there will always be one Bing, and one Bing only.

BUH-BUH-BUUUHHHH....

POSITIVELY...

THERA...

PEUTIC!

[Alright...enough with the ancient history. Let's rock.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was tight , priceless

Thanks !

Rebeca said...

Bing is an excellent search engine. For one thing the surprising early reviews probably forced Yahoo’s hand as they entered into one of the dumber corporate transactions I’ve ever seen.