Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Busting Out

I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.
-Henry David Thoreau

While gathering a mess of beans back on June 27, I discovered a sparrow's nest cradling four tiny eggs.



Ever since, I've kept a watch over that nest whenever I was in the garden. Today, I had a feeling that the time had come for the eggs to hatch. In fact, after starting out to the garden this evening, I returned to the house for my camera...

...just in case.

As I approached the bean patch, the sparrow flitted away as it always does. But glancing at the nest, I could see movement.

The baby birds had hatched today.



These little creatures were almost unidentifiable blobs of flesh. As I moved closer to take a quick picture, they craned their necks toward me and opened their mouths wide.

When I planted those peanut beans back in April, I could imagine the harvest ahead. The beans have been delicious.

But I certainly didn't picture baby birds growing on the bean bushes.

No comments: