Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Good Year for Waterfalls

2009 has been a good year for waterfalls. With the end of the long drought, some old favorites are running better than they have in a long time. In 2008, Bridal Veil Falls (the one near Highlands) was down to a trickle. Not anymore.

Just down the mountain from Bridal Veil, the Forest Service finally reopened access to the incomparable Dry Falls.



Lots of new falls for me in '09, like...

Toccoa:



Whiteoak Creek:



Lower Whitewater:



Add to that one episode of waterfall-induced etymological wandering.

Finally, I still haven't seen if for myself, but have heard that Kevin Adams' new map of North Carolina waterfalls is a beauty. His waterfall book has been THE go-to reference for weekend rambles, and I expect the map would be a nice addition to that.

Without a doubt, it was a good year for waterfalls.

.

1 comment:

River Lover said...

This is a nice resource -- thanks! I've used ncwaterfalls.com to scout potential runs. I'll have to grab one of these maps, too.

Do you know if the mini-gorge on the upper Whitewater is accessible by trail? I'm thinking about running the section from Highway 107 to 281 and would like to hike it while I recover from rotator cuff surgery.

Took a look at Whiteoak Falls Tuesday, but there's dangerous wood in the landing zone. Nice picture!

Check out Gragg Prong in the index at ncwaterfalls -- halfway down, there's a picture of a falls with a hiker warning; we call it "Dragstrip," seen here on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/7882820.

Whether I'm hiking or boating, there's lots to love about living in a land of waterfalls...