Thursday, February 18, 2010

After the Dam

I took a little ride today and joined the other gawkers examining the Tuckasegee River minus the Dillsboro Dam.

WOW!



You wouldn't know a dam had ever been there.

After seeing the raging sluice of whitewater gushing past the half-demolished dam last week, I was surprised at the relatively tame stretch of river today.

No wonder those kayakers were so eager to shoot the rapids, as it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I feel very fortunate to have gotten a photo of it:




That Class IV stuff was extremely short-lived.




Oh well. It looks nice now, eh?



Dam or no dam, you're looking at "impaired waters" according to the latest evaluation from the state Division of Water Quality. When I first heard that phrase a couple of years ago, I thought "impaired waters" was a cute euphemism for "hard likker."

But I was wrong.

In the case of the Tuckasegee as it flows through Dillsboro, "impaired waters" is a synonym for "fecal coliform."

More on that fun subject ahead...


.

No comments: