Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pickin' with Lester (and Earl)

The youngster in these videos was born about three weeks before I was - back in the 1950s. Needless to say, by the age of seven, I had not caught up with his prodigious musical talent (nor shall I ever).

Just for the heck of it, I won't identify him. Lester Flatt does (but mangles the boy's name).

In a recent interview, the musician said he can't sing those high notes in "Ruby" any more. But he's still pickin' and singin' just fine.






And now a word from our sponsor...

T. Tommy introduces Ann Abby - making Martha White Knick-Knack Sticks. Yum!

And then, Flatt and Scruggs reel off the Martha White Self-Rising Flour Song, one of my all-time faves:



4 comments:

Jim Parker said...

One of the many good things about being a hillbilly is that when someone asks "Why do you like Bluegrass?" all I have to say is that it in my blood.

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate to live in a family of fine Southern cooks. Granny Small eclipsed them all, and I spent a lot of time with her in the kitchen wondering who that little child on the Martha White bag was.

She was such a good baker that the other Norwood Church of God ladies (themselves no slouches in the kitchen) would suck up their pride and buy Mrs. Small's offerings at bake sales "before the heathens or the Baptists get them".

'74

GULAHIYI said...

Love that bake sale story.

Someday, what if all those friendly faces on all those packages come back to life....

I was always convinced that Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima were husband and wife.

I wonder if Little Debby and Little Miss Sunbeam got along OK, or were they all eat with jealousy toward each other?

Chef Boyardee was always around when I was a kid. Nice hat!

Then there was the rosy-cheeked Quaker Oats dude. Nice hat, as well.

The Land-of-Lakes butter Indian maiden has been subjected to a naughty trick of folding the package (just so) a million times. But she's still as perky and patient as ever.

I wonder what goes on in my cupboard when I'm at work all day!

Anonymous said...

That leetle feller grew up to do some nice playin, not least some recent duets with the jaw-dropping Albert Lee. Check out "Luxury Liner".

'74