Friday, October 1, 2010

Nature Journal, 10/1/10

Whatever it was woke me at 1:58 AM. From the lily pond not twenty feet outside my window came the sound:

llappllappllappllappllappllappllapp




I fumbled to assemble my eyeglasses and flashlight. I managed to shine a light out the window just in time to glimpse a tawny blur disappearing into the bushes.

Yes, I know. Odds are it was some formerly-thirsty dog.

But I can’t absolutely rule out the possibility that what I saw was a paint’er.



That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I’m just thankful that Kitty left my goldfish and my frog intact.



THE TYGER (from Songs Of Experience)
By William Blake


Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare sieze the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art.
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?



What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?


1794

2 comments:

Jim Parker said...

When I was growing up in Wilkes County there was a very brief time that people we seeing some critter they could not recognize. Some folks speculated that it was just a bobcat but the more imaginative thought it was a wolverine. The odd term that ended up being used for the creature was wolfinanny. I have no idea if that is how it would have been spelled since I only heard the term and never saw it in print.

GULAHIYI said...

Is that anything like Orphinanny?

I hadn't heard of wolfinanny, but cryptozoology.com has this listing (sounds like it was specific to NW NC!):

I know very little of this, but I was asked to hunt down more details. My mother grew up in Guilford County, North Carolina, near an area called 'Friendship'. I'm not sure if it was a town, then, or not. This was a very rural area, with a railroad running through it.

At any rate, she supposes this was back in the fifties, when she was a young girl, when people began reporting livestock being killed. And she remembers being very frightened, and all of the men went out hunting for the creature. She's not sure how long this went on, but thinks that it even hit the papers. (It would've hit the Greensboro News & Record or, possibly, the Raleigh News & Observer.)

I was just posting on the off chance that someone may remember this, or may have read something in passing while looking up other livestock-stealing creatures. She doesn't recall any details of what it looked like, only that they were certain that it was nothing they had seen before. There was, of course, the supposition that it escaped off a passing circus train.

replies follow at:
http://www.cryptozoology.com/forum/topic_view_thread.php?tid=4&pid=189759